Thursday, February 24, 2022

 Entry 6

Q. 1. Think about the "shifting minds model" in Canada, do you see any similarities in the current development rationale we adopt here in the U.S. or your current country? Why is digital technologies so important in the 21st century?

   Shifting Minds is an innovative framework that ensures a student-led learning environment. The teachers act as facilitators to help guide students in personal, project-based learning. There is a similarity in our STEM program at our school. The facilitator allows her students to choose projects based on their own creative style and guides their learning. They are busy with hands-on technological projects that are both challenging and rewarding. I love seeing them so occupied to the exclusion of all else. 

    I believe I do see a trend in our education system wanting to do more project-based learning that not only engages students to their environment, but they can see the relevance in a global perspective, as well. A system that is similar is the "goal-based design" or "Design-Down, Deliver-Up" model. One of the things we need to get away from is the state mandating teachers teach their way when it clearly has not worked. I say that from the perspective of teaching in an area where our hands are tied with the curriculum we have to teach. I would love to see more project-based instruction; however, our district is so heavily tested that I see students who are weary of coming to school. Students are not going to test well, if all they encounter are an endless array of tests! I believe I digress... I personally look forward to when I am free to do more student-led learning.



    Digital technologies is important in the 21st century for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is, globally, that is where we are. Unfortunately, with the onslaught of Covid 19, both students and teachers were forcibly thrust into a situation where distance learning was a must. Some teachers were woefully unprepared for such an event and students were not mentally geared to learning online. Now, here we are, a couple of years later and we are still trying to teach students to be prepared for online learning. Teachers are becoming more adept at creating online learning opportunities for their students by using Google Classroom and a myriad of other digital platforms. The biggest obstacle in my area is getting students and parents on board. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

  Speak: Silencing Factors/Healing Factors