Autobiographical Reflection
As a fairly new teacher, I don’t have
many professional teaching experiences to recount. I teach 6th grade ELA in a
poor, socio-economic district where every student has access to free lunches.
Many of our students show little regard for authority and resist the idea of having
to spend most of their day sitting in a classroom. I have found that possessing
classroom management skills is a priority and must be established right away.
My education did not adequately prepare me for students who have difficulty
thinking without having a digital device to do their thinking for them. I
believe there are several factors that can share the blame for the fact that
students are losing the art of creating and writing.
Teaching new concepts can be a
monumental task. I recall when I started a unit teaching literary element and
how difficult it was to pass on the concept of a story plot. I used several
different strategies to show them how plot works throughout a story. I have asked myself, how many ways can I
explain so they (students) gain an understanding? Do my lessons make sense? Is
it me…am I in the wrong profession?
Then it happens! That moment when a
student looks at you and you see a glimpse of understanding and a hint of a
smile. A few students start asking questions and, suddenly, a discussion
begins. Not just any discussion, either; one that relates to the topic at hand!
Test scores are slowly on the rise and the mood of the class is lighter and a
bit more animated. That’s when I knew I chose the right profession; to prepare
today’s kids to be the innovative thinkers and doers for their world.
One of the obstacles I have
encountered as an educator is the implementation of various programs that are
intended to aid us as we teach our students. These programs are intended for
intervention and would be wonderful; however, for the past four years I have
been introduced to as many programs. I have voiced my concern, expressing how
frustrating it is to go from one intervention program to another without the
benefit of being able to properly ascertain if the program is a “keeper.” I
have also suggested that we use more Project Based Learning during our
intervention time. Project Base Learning (PBL) is a way of teaching that uses a
type of “backward design.” I can plan a unit by figuring out what my outcome
should be and design projects and lessons to help in reaching the desired
outcome. I didn’t think, at first, that I would like to do PBL’s because of the
difficult time I had with them as a student. Creativity and doing projects have
never been my strong suit, so when I say that even I can do this, I really mean
it! My goal right now is to convince my principal that offering this type of
project based learning is a great way to assess if students are learning.
Although I have not been teaching for
a long time, I believe I have experienced enough to realize that one of the
ways to gain a certain amount of control is to allow the students some freedom
to accomplish learning goals. Project-based learning is one way to achieve this
type of educational freedom. Allowing students to work on projects that engage
them will also help reduce many classroom behavioral problems. In my opinion,
it is a win-win solution!
No comments:
Post a Comment